Akismet WordPress Plugin recently got upgraded to version 2.6.0, this is update is mainly for some bugfixes since version 2.5.9.
This Akismet update takes care of the issues concerning pingbacks which was a part of recent DDOS attack discussion a few days ago, we also wrote about it, you can check the article here
There was a news cycle a few days ago about “WordPress pingbacks being used to DDOS sites” which had a lot of misinformation and hyperbole, but there were two valid issues which the last two bullet points address: anti-spam checks were done after a pingback was verified, and WP didn’t pass on who made the request that caused it to verify a pingback (effectively cloaking the true source). This update to Akismet addresses both, and we think a similar approach may be appropriate for core in a future release.
2.6.0 Version updates
- Add ajax paging to the check for spam button to handle large volumes of comments
- Fix bug in link to spam comments from right now dashboard widget
- Fix bug with deleting old comments to avoid timeouts dealing with large volumes of comments
- Include X-Pingback-Forwarded-For header in outbound WordPress pingback verifications
- Add pre-check for pingbacks, to stop spam before an outbound verification request is made
One of the highlight of this update is the pre-check for pingbacks, this will ensure extra layer as for the issues related to pingbacks are concerned.