We all love WordPress for what it has to offer to us. The amazing gallery of tons of free themes and premium vendors, who bring the professional touch to the WordPress platform. But, have you ever wondered yourself on how you can start earning with WordPress? Or in short, How to make a living with WordPress.
The answer is simple, but long. Yes, there are too many opportunities and paths that you can take to make a living with WordPress.
Today, I am going to answer this simple question and help our readers to kickstart their journey.
How to make a living with WordPress
There are many ways you can become a WordPress ninja, and with so many opportunities in your hand, you can choose anyone of the inner-trade or multi-trade options(depends on your passion and requirement).
WebSite Development aka Developer
Development is one of the fascinating prospects for anyone who is looking to make a living with WordPress. There are tons of opportunities that relate to developing for WordPress.
It can be developing a theme or a plugin for a client or starting off by developing a plugin to help others in the community, the choice is yours.
If you are already a PHP Developer, then you have enough experience to easily transit to WordPress platform. There are already tons of jobs available for WordPress developers across the different horizon of development.
What WordPress Developers do?
- They are assigned to create new themes for the clients. The development is based on the design provided by the client itself.
- Develop new plugins that solve a pain. There are many clients who are also interested in custom development according to their requirement. Working with them can yield long-term benefits.
- Use marketplace as a starting point to sell your new theme or plugin. A long-term approach for endless income.
Developers can be both front-end and back-end. The front-end developers are more restricted to the front-end functionality of the WordPress platform. With complexities increasing, there are sub-divisions in the role and I am not glad when we could have more sub-divisions on the roles.
Front-End Developers have the following responsibilities:
- Understand design with their unique way of thinking. They also need to understand the requirement and convert themes with the best possible practices.
- Should have complete understanding of HTML/CSS and other related front-end technologies.
- Can sell themes through the marketplace. Create powerful and beautiful themes or plugins.
- Contribute to existing themes or plugins and harness their skill to next level.
Website Design aka Designer
You can also live as a WordPress designer. The work of a designer is to develop interfaces that are created with great touch and visual design.
User Experience is also an important a part of the designing and requires tons of experience in a part of the designer. There are many designer based jobs available in the market.
Responsibilities related to Designer:
- Design from scratch a visually appealing design that can solve the problem of the consumers.
- Know HTML/CSS from inside out so that they can easily transfer PSD to WordPress.
- Understand user experience and implement it flawlessly.
WordPress Maintenance and Support
WordPress is a big thing. There are many websites that receive tons of visitors on the daily basis, and that opens doors for maintenance and support staff. As individuals, you can offer services fixing small issues on WordPress or clean up WordPress or even make it faster for the better good.
- These people love WordPress and help to improve at a certain level.
- They are coders who make WordPress faster, optimize it better and mold it to perform under stress.
- They are people who create a system of compatibility among different aspects of the website and maintain it for a long period.
- They also make sure that the site doesn’t go down for more than 2 mins. After all, visitors are money for the business.
Content Creators and CopyWriting
If you are reading this, then you know what I am going to tell you. As this piece of article is an example of how you can make a living. Content is the king and without content no business can thrive.
Selling themes and plugins or WordPress service require CopyWriting content. Without CopyWriting, it is tough to convert on sales.
- Offer WordPress news or related content in an engaging manner.
- Market WordPress products.
- Provide SEO services for WordPress business.
- Create own blog about WordPress and start earning.
- Get hired for professional WordPress website and earn easily.
- Publish interesting content about WordPress such as videos, infographic or audio. Help connect business with potential customers using a different type of media.
WordPress might be simple or beginner friendly for most of us, but that’s not mean that it needs not be taught. Internally it is as complex as it can get and that’s why we need awesome teachers who can teach WordPress the way it is meant to be.
There are many EDUblogs that teach WordPress. WPBeginner is one of the prime examples of the success of educating WordPress to the general audience without going overboard. There are more advanced websites such as WPShout, who dive deep into the development side of the WordPress.
So, what can you do?
- Create a brand for teaching WordPress.
- Create a small local group and teach WordPress to them.
- Contribute to the community by building awesome teaching material.
Other than these five awesome ways to learn WordPress, you can also become a WordPress marketer and help people build a business around WordPress.
There are many other small and hidden opportunities on WordPress platform. I tried to discuss the major ones in the article. If you think, I missed something crucial, don’t forget to comment below.
WordPress is a grand platform with enough space for anyone to start living. The only thing that I want to tell new starters — be good enough so that no one can ignore you. The rest will fall in place automatically.
Loved the article? Share it as much as you can.