BuddyPress 2.1 is named as “Patsy” is released and ready for download, the version is named for Patsy’s Pizzeria the coal-oven pizzeria in New York City and is regarded as one of New York’s original pizzerias as well as for its use of traditional New York style thin crust pizza.
BuddyPress 2.1 has come out with some amazing and really useful updates which will definitely take the popular community plugin for WordPress one step ahead.
So, let’s check the changes in detail
Revamped @mentions interface
With version 2.1 BuddyPress becomes even more intelligent, the @mentions on BuddyPress site will be really useful and easy to use now. In BuddyPress 2.1, once you type the @ key it will bring in the new suggestions panel for you, making it easier than ever to connect with others in your network.
So, you don’t have to remember the usernames because the BuddyPress system will do the hard work for you and suggest the usernames accordingly.
URL: The new Profile Field
BuddyPress 2.1 introduces a new profile field type for URL, now users to enter URLs in a number of formats, and ensures that they’re properly linked when displayed on member profiles.
I’m sure this feature will be welcomed by all the BuddyPress users as they will be able to showcase their own site or their favorite sites on their profile.
When it comes to a community site the language is a big part of of it because many folks want to create small Geo based communities using BuddyPress.
BuddyPress 2.1 makes it real easy for the users to use the software in language other than English. Now, the BP translation files will be downloaded automatically to your WP installation.
Other Updates in BuddyPress 2.1
There are number of other updates and improvements done on this version of BuddyPress, few of the highlighted changes are
- Improved private group message for non-members
- Password strength meter to registration page
- Added username to activation email
- Renamed “Avatar” to “Profile Photo”
- Improved image size detection for uploaded avatar images
- Updating a blog post will now properly create an excerpt for the activity item instead of using the entire post’s content
- When a user attempts to change their email address, the new address requires email verification before the change is applied
You can check the entire list of updates and changes done on BuddyPress 2.1 here